여행후기

Google employees reveal what they hated most about the company

페이지 정보

Clarissa 24-04-13 18:44 view2 Comment0

본문

Free gourmet cafeterias, laundry on site, massage rooms and even a candy shop are just a few of the perks that have made seem like the ultimate dream job. 

But now current and former employees are claiming that not all is what it seems at the tech company, no matter how many of their friends ar

For some, the gripes were small as they complained that the free food served at the cafeterias on Google's Mountain View headquarters was 'getting worse by the day'.

Current and former Google employees have revealed what they hate the most about working at an office that has become famous for its free perks 

'Ten years ago we used to get prime ribs, sushi, freshly made rolls, fresh coconuts...Today's food is totally meh by comparison,' one former Google employee wrote. 

'I know, I know, many companies today don't even offer food, but try to look at it from the Googlers' perspectives.' 

'The company took us in for an amazing deal and then the deal just went down the hill.' 

Many employees also complained about the headquarter's location, nothing that the upper-class Mountain View neighborhood was an expensive neighborhood and living anywhere else involved a horrible commute.  

'In the Bay Area, the cost of living is insane,' wrote former Google software engineer Adrian Carballo. 

'If you wrote off of the MTV campus there isn't even much to do other than working or hanging out with your coworkers. Lame.' 

'You do have free food available all the time, and many cafes, gyms, laundry rooms, etc.' 

'But over time as you start using all these perks (because it's just too convenient) you spend more and more of your time at the office.' 

'You start making the same choices day in and day out. You hang out more and more with the same people you work with.' 

A former senior account manager likewise found that all the perks that came with Google eventually began to consume his life.  

'Basically, you end up spending the majority of your life eating Google food, with Google coworkers, wearing Google gear, sending Google email on Google phones,' wrote Joe Cannella. 

One former senior account manager revealed that all the perks made him so comfortable that Google began to consume his life, to the point it decided where he ate, hung out, and wore 

'You eventually start to lose sight of what it's like to be independent of the big G, and every corner of your life is set up to reinforce the idea that you would be absolutely insane to want to be anywhere else.' 

Cannella wrote that he realizes others would criticize him as being a 'poor spoiled Googler', but he believes that's the exact mindset the environment is meant to create. 

'You are given everything you could ever want, but it costs you the only things that actually matter in the end.' 

For many that was the feeling of actually being challenged by their work, and feeling like they were contributing and making a difference inside their own company. 

'I often say Google has a great problem: Too many outstanding people,' wrote one former employee who worked at the tech company for seven years. 

'I left a great seven-year career...because it just wasn't that challenging. My growth would have stunted, and I would have been unhappy.'  'When I left, my direct reports were outstanding, my boss was outstanding, my peers were outstanding'.

Former staff software engineer John L Miller said the worst part about working at the company was 'feeling under-utilized'. 

'As someone with ~25 years of programming, management, and architecture experience, I wasn't doing anything that a good college hire with ~2 years of experience couldn't do faster and just as well,' he wrote. 

'That's a depressing situation.' 

Many Google employees said the company was filled with so many brilliant people that it was impossible to keep them all challenged, leaving many left with menial tasks 

Another former employee said they left Google after three years because they felt the impact they could ever make on the business 'was minimal'. 

'Unless you are an amazingly talented engineer who gets to create something new, chances are you're simply a guy/girl with an oil can greasing the cogs of that machine,' they wrote.  

Many joked that the hardest part about Google was the interview to get in, leaving the company with hundreds of brilliant people with nothing challenging to do. 

'There are students from top 10 colleges who are providing tech support for Google's Quora Ads Accounts - Providervcc.com
Quora Ads Accounts - Providervcc.com products, or manually taking down flagged content from YouTube, or writing basic code,' wrote one former employee. 

'They can hire the very best people - so everyone is overqualified.' 

Cannella, who left Google after nine years, emphasized that it wasn't that there was no work to do at the company - but it wasn't the revolutionary kind people expected. 

'In the end, what I started to see was the most amazing, talented, passionate group of people I've ever known, all in one place, with no free time or energy to pursue the things that mattered the most to them,' he wrote. 

'Many want to change the world, and they thought that's what they'd do while at Google. Sometimes that happens...but not nearly enough.'   

This roster of incredible employees can make getting a promotion at the company nearly impossible, one former Googler wrote. 

'You can fall through the cracks, and you can fall hard,' they said. 'I know people who have been software engineers for eight plus years (that) have never been promoted.' 

Another former employee complained that Google has a type, and ends up hiring the 'same people over and over again'. 

'Same background, same 10 schools, same worldview, same interests,' they wrote. 

'It's no exaggeration that I met 100 triathletes in my three years at Google. Only a handful of them were interesting people.' 

Others complained that one of the worst things about working at Google was dealing with the people who didn't work there, who believed it was an adult Disneyland.

Former software engineer Katy Levinson found that everyone from her mother to a cab driver demanded an explanation as to why she would ever leave Google. 

'People feel justified asking you why you left or if you still work there, and insist that everything must be perfect,' she wrote. 

Others complained that one of the worst things about working at Google was dealing with the people who didn't work there, who believed it was an adult Disneyland

'They don't want to hear anything less than total enthusiasm for your luck getting into Google, and how much you want to stay.' 

Another employee noted that whenever they mentioned their time at Google, it would suddenly become the only topic of discussion.

'It's as if everyone who hasn't worked there has somehow been indoctrinated into believing that it's the holy grail of employment,' they wrote. 

'Any word of negativity almost angers them as if it destroys all of their hopes and dreams - similar to if a child were to catch a glimpse of the reality behind Santa Clause.' 

But Google Chrome inventor Jeff Nelson said that a large faction of what people outside of the company hear about it is 'bulls***'. 

'Often, this bulls*** is propagated by Googlers, because it helps the company's reputation,' he added. 

'When someone comes up with a really good piece of bulls***, they may even earn some respect among the other Google engineers.'

'It's considered "Googley" to make Google sound like an amazing place to work, even if the statement is largely bulls***'.    

data-track-module="am-external-links^external-links">
Read more:

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.